I grew up in Southern California wanting to be an astronaut or Vicky Austin in A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT by Madeleine L’Engle. I settled for newspaper reporter and nonprofit communications director (and 14er peak bagger after moving to Colorado in 2002).
I now spends my days hiking, reading, writing, and embarrassing myself when meeting famous authors (which you can read about on various writing sites, including my blog. See list below). I plan to never introduce myself to Rainbow Rowell and John Green, lest I dissolve into a puddle of blissful nothingness.
- Honorable Mention, 2014 Northern Colorado Writers Personal Essay/Creative Nonfiction Contest (national competition). “Voice Lessons” was published in November in the winners’ anthology, POOLED INK: Celebrating the 2014 NCW Contest Winners, available on Amazon.
- Honorable Mention (Top-6 Finalist), 2012 Grey Sparrow Journal Flash Fiction Contest (international competition)
Flash Fiction, Short Stories & Essays
- Baby Shoes: Celebrating Flash Fiction (July 2015)
- The Monster in Her Bedroom (Havok Magazine, Issue 1.1) and Splickety Magazine’s first flash fiction anthology (July 2015)
- “Author John Searles Proves Nice Guys Finish First” (Chuck Sambuchino’s Guide to Literary Agents Blog)
- “The Effect of Andrew McCarthy on the Female Brain” (www.AprilJMoore.com)
- “Close Encounters with David Sedaris” (Chuck Sambuchino’s Guide to Literary Agents Blog/Writers Digest)
- “Little Red Riding Hood Seeks Vengeance” published in the anthology Open Doors: Fractured Fairy Tales (2012, Wayman Publishing) (listen to a selection from the audio book)
- One of my posts was chosen for the anthology Random Acts of Kindness: A Blogfest by Wayman Publishing
- Amy Kathleen Ryan Says Drop What You’re Writing If You Have a Better Idea, Jan. 25, 2015
- Author Colum McCann seeks beauty in the dark Dec. 28, 2014
- “Readers CAN’T LOOK AWAY from Donna Cooner’s Books,” November 2014
- Take Five and Meet Author Katherine Valdez, An Indie Adventure (February 2015)
Guest Blog Posts
- On Patricia Stoltey‘s website: Ten-Second Movie Reviews by Katherine Valdez
- THE HEART OF EVERYTHING THAT IS: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. I was first in line to get the book signed for my parents. Nerd alert!
- Society of Children’s Books Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI)
- Northern Colorado Writers (NCW)
- Raintree Writers
- Instagram and Twitter: @KatValdezWriter
- www.facebook.com/AuthorKatherineValdez (Still grumbling about Facebook. Here’s why.)
Pursue Your Passion and Believe in Happily Every After