Katherine Valdez grew up in Southern California wanting to be an astronaut or Vicky Austin in A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT by Madeleine L’Engle. She settled for newspaper reporter and nonprofit communications director (and 14er peak bagger/backpacker after moving to Colorado in 2002).
Katherine now spends her days hiking, reading, writing, and embarrassing herself when meeting famous authors (which you can read about on various writing sites, including her blog; see list below). She throws emergency dance parties and wants to be Rainbow Rowell when she grows up.
- Honorable Mention, 2014 Northern Colorado Writers Personal Essay/Creative Nonfiction Contest (national competition). “Voice Lessons” was published in November in the winners’ anthology, POOLED INK: Celebrating the 2014 NCW Contest Winners, available on Amazon.
- Honorable Mention (Top-6 Finalist), 2012 Grey Sparrow Journal Flash Fiction Contest (international competition)
Flash Fiction, Short Stories & Essays
- Baby Shoes: Celebrating Flash Fiction (April 2015)
- The Monster in Her Bedroom (Havok Magazine, Issue 1.1) and Splickety Magazine’s first flash fiction anthology (April 2015)
- “Author John Searles Proves Nice Guys Finish First” (Chuck Sambuchino’s Guide to Literary Agents Blog)
- “The Effect of Andrew McCarthy on the Female Brain” (www.AprilJMoore.com)
- “Close Encounters with David Sedaris” (Chuck Sambuchino’s Guide to Literary Agents Blog/Writers Digest)
- “Little Red Riding Hood Seeks Vengeance” published in the anthology Open Doors: Fractured Fairy Tales (2012, Wayman Publishing) (listen to a selection from the audio book)
- One of my posts will be published in the new anthology Random Acts of Kindness: A Blogfest (Wayman Publishing).
- Author Amy Kathleen Ryan, Jan. 25, 2015
- Author Colum McCann seeks beauty in the dark Dec. 28, 2014
- “Readers CAN’T LOOK AWAY from Donna Cooner’s Books,” November 2014
- Take Five and Meet Author Katherine Valdez, An Indie Adventure (February 2015)
- THE HEART OF EVERYTHING THAT IS: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. The authors visited Colorado and I was first in line to get a book signed for my parents.
- Society of Children’s Books Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI)
- Northern Colorado Writers (NCW)
- Raintree Writers
- Instagram and Twitter: @KatValdezWriter
- www.facebook.com/AuthorKatherineValdez (Still grumbling about Facebook. Here’s why.)
Pursue Your Passion and Believe in Happily Every After
Pearl Lake, Colorado